Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Justifying My Existence



A business has to be involving, it has to be fun, and it has to exercise your creative instincts. – Richard Branson

I have to say that as the 3rd week of working part time from home while also trying to earn some self employment income as begun, I haven't felt this good in a year!

Yet...I feel a little twitchy all day long.  I am constantly asking myself if I have justified my existence for the day.  Am I doing enough?  Have I worked enough?  DId I make enough money today?  Can I really allow myself to be enjoying this new work arrangement so much?  Will I really be making enough extra by fall to continue living in this much joy?

I am loving what I am doing work wise.  And it is fun to be working for a couple who are entrepreneurs, to watch them work and be inspired to go off and make it happen for myself as well.

But..

Fear.
Doubt.
Insecurity.
Uncertainty.
Fear.

Last night I was feeling particularly frustrated at my lack of progress and questioning if I was doing the right thing since it wasn't coming together as quickly as I had hoped.  But I had to remind myself that it takes time to get something started and build momentum.  It takes time to find your groove.  It takes time to find your right market.  And it takes a tough skin because you will make lots of mistakes and hear lots of "no" before the "yes'" add up to something you can live on.  I had to remind myself that this isn't going to be easy but it is going to be worth it.

So I pushed away those fears, doubts, insecurity and uncertainty and replaced them with...

Hope.
Belief.
Perseverance.
Confidence.
Certainty.

I started out this blog saying, "how hard can it be...?"  I am learning that it can be hard.  It is not for the faint of heart.  But if it means continuing to enjoy my job and career as much as I am enjoying it at the moment then it is definately worth the effort.

Plus, yesterday I got my first check for a writing job.  Yes, of course, I made a copy to frame.  It is the first of many checks both big and small that will come my way as I build a career and business doing something I love.


Success in business requires training and discipline and hard work. But if you’re not frightened by these things, the opportunities are just as great today as they ever were. – David Rockefeller


No comments:

Post a Comment