Friday, August 31, 2012

Getting ready to launch

In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins: cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later. – Harold Geneen

In a couple days I am going to officially start promoting my new web site/blog.  I am excited, nervous, ready.  Not exactly sure what will happen next.  I still have SO much to learn.   As the quote above discusses, I think the next few months will be about being paid in experience.  I will have to find my cash elsewhere for a few more months.  But I believe I am starting a path that will get me there.

Success in business requires training and discipline and hard work. But if you’re not frightened by these things, the opportunities are just as great today as they ever were. – David Rockefeller

The big question is, am I ready and willing to do the work.  Am I frightened by training, discipline and hard work or am I excited by the challenge and all there is to learn and do going forward?

The past month or so might suggest that I am more frightened than excited.  I have been working but I know I could be doing more and be more prepared for what I am about to do.  However, in my defense, it is summer and I have had 2 children at home with needs of their own.  Next week when everyone is back at school and I am home alone working all day the answer to this question will have to be faced.  Will I take action or continue coming up with excuses?

I had a couple people tell me that with this kind of business you just get it out there, get started.  Don't wait for it to be perfect, make it happen.  Start working, start promoting, start selling.  Tweak and improve as you go along and build a following.  I must admit, that is probably going to be my favorite part of this business.  I love to jump in with both feet and see what happens.  I love that I don't have to be perfect right from the start because I am not perfect.  My site, my writing, my business will never be perfect.  Just keep working, keep moving forward, keep learning.  Ready or not, here I come!

So not much to update from this past month.  I did throw one Stella & Dot open house in my home which went quite well.  I haven't had a chance to check my final totals but I think I made about $150 for a couple hours of work.  So worth it.  Other than that I have spent the month writing, working my job and being with my family.  It has been a wonderful month but I am very, very ready for school to start and the next attempt at making money to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment