Saturday, September 29, 2012

I haven't lost enthusiasm yet!


People often say that motivation doesn't last.  Well, neither does bathing--that's why we recommend it daily. --Zig Zigler

It has been almost a month since I published anything new here.  And while I still haven't quite figured out how to make $5,000/month or any other extra money I have been busy talking to people, listening to online gurus and getting my schedule organized so I know when I will be working on this.


Let's review my journey so far:

Last year I was working full time as a receptionist making low pay.  I realized that in order be able to support my family while my husband is in school I would need to start a little side business to supplement my job income.  I started with a home based business selling Stella & Dot jewelry.  While I like it and make good money when I work, I find it hard to market within my friend groups.  When I started it I knew I wouldn't make the full $5,000/month but thought it would be a good way to get started and get my feet wet.  I also did a writing project.  This was also good money but I haven't spent any time really pursuing more work.

What I finally realize was that the structure of the job I had made it difficult to pursue other business ventures while still claiming to prioritize my family.  So I made a job change this summer to working from home.  It has been a very good job change family wise and does pay a little more per hour but is less hours so ultimately is a slight pay cut.  Because I made the change over the summer I basically ended up getting sucked into summer activities with the family when I wasn't working and so not much forward progress happened this summer.

Finally, everyone is back in school and I am re-focused on how to make money from home.  So let's talk about what I am currently working on:

I did manage to create and launch a new blog/website called "From Homemaker to Working Mom: Encouragement as you make the transition back to work."  And I have published an article online at Ezine Articles on the topic hoping to get some traffic my way.  I need to find other places I can write short articles which will drive traffic to my site.  As I research the various ways to make money online and with blog type sites I am seeing that I really need an e-book so have started working on a book on this topic.  I am excited about the progress so far and have a goal to finish by Thanksgiving.  It is a bit ambitious but I think I can make it happen.

I have found a friend with similar goals to mine and we are teaming up both to encourage one another and to possibly partner on some endeavors.  We are just getting started on working together but are both excited about the possibilities.  I have been saying for years that I need a colaborater.  I need someone to work with, bounce ideas off and occasionally tell me what to do.  I work better with another person.  She feels the same way.  So far we have discussed our strengths, goals, values, resources and are working to hold each other accountable.  I am excited about where we will take this relationship.

Together we have several ideas so for the next month I am going to focus on considering various online business options.  I have several friends making fair to good to great money online selling various stuff and so will be talking to them as well as listening to the many how to videos available for free on the internet.  The one I am working through currently is Eric's Tips.  He has 100 short video lessons walking you through the process of creating an information product to sell.  An e-book would be an example of an information product.  I started listening to them last fall but got distracted by my life.  However, as I begin again having an idea of what my information product will be I am getting much more out of them.

So my specific goals this month are:

Write 1 chapter per week on my book.
complete all 100 Eric's Tips lessons and begin putting together a plan of the next business to pursue.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw of fthe bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the trade winds in your sails.  Explore. Dream. Discover. --Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment